If you've made the commitment to "go green" with your lifestyle it may be time to consider going green with your beauty routine as well. Seattle-based skincare line Kari Gran made it's debut earlier this year with four signature products that are actually good for your skin. Made in small batches using organic,wild-harvested, non-GMO ingredients the entire line is preservative-free and made without unhealthy toxins that can be found in other skincare products. The line-up includes a signature Cleansing Oil, a Hydrating Tonic, Essential Serum and an energizing (and highly addictive) Lip Whip.
Dubbed as the "Little Black Dress" of skincare thanks to the sleek, luxurious glass bottles and minimalist packaging, Kari Gran products are a natural alternative to chemical-based skincare products that often disrupt hormones and hurt skin rather than working to help it. "As it turns out that the beauty products I was using weren’t so pretty after all," says founder Kari Gran, "My endocrine system did not approve." She was inspired to develop a back- to-basics approach to elegant skin care by seeking out the fundamental ingredients the skin requires in order to thrive. Her research included a deep exploration of what other cultures use to care for their skin and even including taking the time for some continuing education courses in science-based natural medicine at Bastyr University, specifically, the clinical uses of essential oils.
One of the cornerstone products in the line is the Cleansing Oil. Although it may sound counter-intuitive to cleanse the skin using oil it actually helps nourish the skin and remove impurities. "Don't be afraid of the oil!" says Kari. Washing your face with oil requires a bit of patience but yields beautiful results so I encourage you to give it a try!
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to properly cleanse your face with oil as instructed by Kari Gran: (You will need a clean washcloth and hot, running water. The washcloth is crucial in working to effectively cleanse your skin with oil so don't skip it!)
- Pump the cleansing oil into the palm of your hand—roughly the size of a quarter, or 8-10 pumps.
- Rub your hands together to warm the oil and then apply to dry skin. (Think of a massage when you are cleansing your face. You want enough oil to easily glide your hands around your face so that you are not tugging at the skin.)
- Massage the oil deeply into pores to stimulate circulation. This will remove makeup, dirt and other impurities.( You want the oil to work deep into your pores where debris can be dissolved.)
- Once you’re satisfied that your pores are saturated, run hot (not scalding) water over a washcloth and wring it out. The water needs to be warm enough to open your pores and remove the oil. (Cool water won’t work and scalding water is just a no-no.)
- Hold the washcloth on your face. Repeat two or three times until no oil residue remains. (Avoid the temptation to scrub. Impurities, dead skin cells and bacteria will be gently wiped away without additional manual exfoliation and irritation.)
- Follow with Hydrating Tonic and Essential Serum. (Don't forget about your neck and décolletage!)
- Cleanse in the evening. In the morning a quick wipe with a warm washcloth should suffice. Over-cleansing your skin serves only to irritate it and cause more oil production.
- Contrary to oily skin fears you may have learned growing up, oil is a gentle, natural skin cleanser.
Although all the products in the Kari Gran Skincare line are meant to work together (cleanse, hydrate, nourish) they also "play well with others" says Kari. In other words, you don't have to use them together to get great results. You can use the Hydrating Tonic and Essential Serum with your usual face wash, or mix the Serum with your tinted moisturized for sheer, hydrating coverage or mix and match to develop a beauty routine that works for you. "We want to empower women to really take charge of their skincare routines and find out what works for their specific skincare needs" says Kari.
Kari Gran skincare is available online, in Seattle at Flawless Beauty Bar and Stacya Silverman & Associates, or on Mercer Island at Au Courant Salon and Indulge. Kari also invites local beauty addicts to visit her studio & loft on South Lake Union to check out the entire line by appointment as well. Cheers to beautiful skin!